Chapter 6: Housing
Section 12: Home Buyer Education Programs - Local
Big Five Community Services, Inc. is a 501(c)3 private, non-profit Oklahoma corporation operating as a Community Action Agency. Big Five is governed by a 15 member Tripartite Board of Directors with daily operations directed by Executive Staff.
Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency helps low-income individuals and families avoid crisis situations in two ways; meeting emergency needs first, then helping families gain self-sufficiency through supportive case management and partnerships with other social service providers.
This agency serves Oklahoma County and Canadian County. Programs include:
- Asset Development - Budget Counseling/Financial Management Services, Business Development Assistance, Individual Development Accounts, Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
- Early Childhood - Car Seat Loan/Distribution, Child Care, Head Start;
- Emergency Services - Prescription Assistance, Clothing, Fans, Rent Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance;
- Housing - Emergency Home Repairs, Homebuyer Education Classes, Rehabilitation, Weatherizing;
- Nutrition - Garden Seed Distribution;
- Substance Abuse - Outpatient Counseling, Residential Treatment Program;
- Transit - Step Shopping Routes, Senior Companion Transportation; and
- Youth - Provide School Supplies, Summer Programs;
Services include home repair and weatherizing, rehabilitation, home buyer assistance and social and community services.
The mission of Community Action Development Corporation is to undertake activities and implement programs with the intent of helping low-income persons improve their quality of life and to attain self-sufficiency for themselves and their families. The agency also recognizes its role as a catalyst in community and economic development efforts and will work toward improving educational and employment opportunities, housing, health services, youth programs, and other services within the communities in which we serve.
Community Action Project (CAP)'s mission is to help families in economic need achieve self-sufficiency. They provide a variety of services to the low-income community. Some of the programs focus on advancing the education and school readiness of very young children (ages 0-5). Some focus on improving the financial circumstances and economic independence of families with young children. Others focus on ensuring that these children and families live in safe, secure, nurturing communities.
Community Action Resource and Development, Inc. (CARD) is a non-profit corporation whose primary purpose is to administer anti-poverty programs in northeastern Oklahoma. Their primary service areas are Nowata, Mayes, Rogers, Wagoner, Washington, and portions of Tulsa counties.
Provides emergency assistance for basic needs and more.
Services for Garfield County and the surrounding counties in Northwest and North Central Oklahoma include:
Child Care Finders
Parents as Teachers
Rxx for Oklahoma
Deep Fork Community Action serves the following counties; Okmulgee, Okfuskee, McIntosh, and Hughes.
They offer assistance to the communities, such as:
Social Services; food, rent and utilities, weatherization, Home buyer education, Rx for Oklahoma (also serves Muskogee County), VITA site, Homeless Prevention & Re-Housing
Great Plains Improvement Foundation, Inc., Community Action Agency, is a mission driven agency that is an advocate for the poor population of Comanche County. We focus on the needs of individuals and families in our service area and operate programs that assist families to achieve stability and self-sufficiency.
Community Action Agencies are locally controlled non-profit organization that work to improve the lives of low-income individuals by creating opportunities for increased self-sufficiency and greater participation the Community.
In Oklahoma Community Action Agencies serve all 77 counties.
To help and encourage children and youth
To support the working poor
To support the poor facing crisis
To sustain and honor the elderly
To strengthen the whole family
To strengthen the whole community
The KI BOIS Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and is administered at the state level by the State Department of Education with the primary goal to serve nutritious meals to children attending family day care homes.
Little Dixie carries out many different types of services. Their focus includes community services, early childhood, transportation, low income housing programs, tourism and economic development.
Muskogee County Community Action Foundation, Inc. (MCCAF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) social service agency dedicated to assisting disadvantaged and low-income individuals, to improve their quality of life, attain self-sufficiency for themselves and their families and achieve a better standard of living.
Neighborhood Housing Services Oklahoma works and partners with organizations committed to providing affordable housing and creating a positive impact on their community.
Northeast Oklahoma Community Action Agency is dedicated to increasing self-sufficiency of income eligible individuals and families in Northeast Oklahoma through education and supportive services.
Opportunities, Inc. seeks to remove obstacles and solve problems which inhibit the ability of low income families to attain self-sufficiency. Utilizing funds, from the Community Service Block Grant (CSBG), Opportunities, Inc. is able to provide a range of services and activities to impact upon the problems of poverty.
Funded by government grants and donations from the surrounding communities, Opportunities, Inc. offers a variety of programs and services that fit the needs of the low-income and poverty stricken individuals and families that live within the 13 counties under their jurisdiction. They currently offer:
· Affordable Housing (HUD & USDA)
· Emergency Assistance
· Food and Clothing Pantry
· Food nutrition programs for licensed home daycares
· Outreach Services (Located in Watonga, Clinton, Woodward, and Guymon)
· Prescription and Insurance Assistance programs (RX, SHIP, MIPPA)
· Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP)
· Tax assistance and basic preparation (VITA)
Southwest Oklahoma Community Action Group is a 501(c)3 private, non-profit agency.
Head Start and Early Head Start
Housing and Weatherization
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program
RX for Oklahoma
Provides emergency services such as assistance with pharmacy payments, rental/mortgage payments, utility, food, clothing and more.
This program serves Creek County, Kay County, Noble County, Osage County and Pawnee County. Programs include:
- Early Childhood - Child Care, Early Head Start, Head Start;
- Emergency Services - Prescription Assistance, Clothing, Pantry, Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Temporary Shelter, Utility Payment Assistance;
- Housing - Multifamily Development, Rehabilitation, Emergency Home Repairs, Weatherizing;
- Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program, Meals Delivered to Residences;
- Substance Abuse - Outpatient Counseling;
- Transit - On Demand, Road to Work Routes, SoonerRide;
- Youth - Provide School Supplies, Tutoring, Summer Programs; and
- Other - RxAssist for Oklahoma.
This council serves Caddo County and Grady County. Programs include:
- Asset Development - Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
- Early Childhood - Head Start;
- Emergency Services - Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance;
- Housing - Downpayment/Closing Cost Assistance, Homebuyer Education Classes, Weatherizing;
- Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program; and
- Transit - Road to Work Routes, SoonerRide.