Chapter 6: Housing

Section 9: Home Repair and Access Modifications

Listing by City

Big Five Community Services

Big Five Community Services, Inc. is a 501(c)3 private, non-profit Oklahoma corporation operating as a Community Action Agency. Big Five is governed by a 15 member Tripartite Board of Directors with daily operations directed by Executive Staff.

1502 North 1st Avenue
Durant , OK 74701





Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency


Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency helps low-income individuals and families avoid crisis situations in two ways; meeting emergency needs first, then helping families gain self-sufficiency through supportive case management and partnerships with other social service providers.

131 N. Bell
Shawnee , OK 74801





City of Norman

Deferred payment loans and emergency home repair loans. Income guidelines.

Housing Rehabilitation
201 W. Gray St.
Norman , OK 73069





Community Action Agency of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma / Canadian Counties, Inc.


This agency serves Oklahoma County and Canadian County. Programs include:

  • Asset Development - Budget Counseling/Financial Management Services, Business Development Assistance, Individual Development Accounts, Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
  • Early Childhood - Car Seat Loan/Distribution, Child Care, Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Prescription Assistance, Clothing, Fans, Rent Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance;
  • Housing - Emergency Home Repairs, Homebuyer Education Classes, Rehabilitation, Weatherizing;
  • Nutrition - Garden Seed Distribution;
  • Substance Abuse - Outpatient Counseling, Residential Treatment Program;
  • Transit - Step Shopping Routes, Senior Companion Transportation; and
  • Youth - Provide School Supplies, Summer Programs;

Services include home repair and weatherizing, rehabilitation, home buyer assistance and social and community services.

319 S.W. 25th St.
Oklahoma City , OK 73109





Community Action Development Corporation

The mission of Community Action Development Corporation is to undertake activities and implement programs with the intent of helping low-income persons improve their quality of life and to attain self-sufficiency for themselves and their families. The agency also recognizes its role as a catalyst in community and economic development efforts and will work toward improving educational and employment opportunities, housing, health services, youth programs, and other services within the communities in which we serve.

105 S. Main
Frederick , OK 73542



Community Action Project of Tulsa County (CAP)

Community Action Project (CAP)'s mission is to help families in economic need achieve self-sufficiency. They provide a variety of services to the low-income community. Some of the programs focus on advancing the education and school readiness of very young children (ages 0-5). Some focus on improving the financial circumstances and economic independence of families with young children. Others focus on ensuring that these children and families live in safe, secure, nurturing communities.

5330 E 31st St, Suite 300
Tulsa , OK 74135





Community Action Resource and Development (CARD)

Community Action Resource and Development, Inc. (CARD) is a non-profit corporation whose primary purpose is to administer anti-poverty programs in northeastern Oklahoma. Their primary service areas are Nowata, Mayes, Rogers, Wagoner, Washington, and portions of Tulsa counties.

707 W. Lowry Rd. Suites 102 & 103
Claremore , OK 74018





Community Development Support Association


Provides emergency assistance for basic needs and more.

Services for Garfield County and the surrounding counties in Northwest and North Central Oklahoma include:
Child Care Finders
Emergency Assistance
Parents as Teachers
Rxx for Oklahoma
Smart Start
Supported Employment

114 S. Independence
Enid , OK 73701





Deep Fork Community Action


Deep Fork Community Action serves the following counties; Okmulgee, Okfuskee, McIntosh, and Hughes.
They offer assistance to the communities, such as:
Social Services; food, rent and utilities, weatherization, Home buyer education, Rx for Oklahoma (also serves Muskogee County), VITA site, Homeless Prevention & Re-Housing

223 W. 6th St.
Okmulgee , OK 74447



Fire Safety Solutions for People with Disabilities


Oklahoma ABLE Tech, OkAT Foundation, and Fire Protection Publications have participated in the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Fire Safety Grant programs for a number of years. Each year it is determined if additional funding has been granted. Unfortunately, the grant was not funded in 2019. Therefore, beginning October 3, 2019, they no longer offer this program statewide.

The remaining supplies from the project will serve individuals in and around the Stillwater, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa areas only.

Oklahoma ABLE Tech
1514 W. Hall of Fame
Stillwater , OK 74078




800-257-1705 Toll Free and V/TTY

Great Plains Improvement Foundation


Great Plains Improvement Foundation, Inc., Community Action Agency, is a mission driven agency that is an advocate for the poor population of Comanche County. We focus on the needs of individuals and families in our service area and operate programs that assist families to achieve stability and self-sufficiency.

2 SE Lee Blvd Ste 200
Lawton , OK 73501



Inca Community Action Foundation

Community Action Agencies are locally controlled non-profit organization that work to improve the lives of low-income individuals by creating opportunities for increased self-sufficiency and greater participation the Community.

In Oklahoma Community Action Agencies serve all 77 counties.

Programs include:
To help and encourage children and youth
To support the working poor
To support the poor facing crisis
To sustain and honor the elderly
To strengthen the whole family
To strengthen the whole community

INCA Johnston County Office (Admin Office)
202 South Capitol
Tishomingo , OK 73460



Toll Free: 




KiBois Community Action Foundation

The KI BOIS Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and is administered at the state level by the State Department of Education with the primary goal to serve nutritious meals to children attending family day care homes.

200 S.E. "A" St., P.O. Box 727
Stigler , OK 74462



Toll Free: 


Little Dixie Community Action Agency, Inc.

Little Dixie carries out many different types of services. Their focus includes community services, early childhood, transportation, low income housing programs, tourism and economic development.

209 N. 4th
Hugo , OK 74743




TDD/TYY # 711

Midwest City Grants Management Division

The Grants Management Department utilizes grant resources to leverage and provide a wide range of projects, services and programs that benefit the Midwest City community.

100 N. Midwest Blvd.
Midwest City , OK 73110



Muskogee County Community Action Foundation

Muskogee County Community Action Foundation, Inc. (MCCAF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) social service agency dedicated to assisting disadvantaged and low-income individuals, to improve their quality of life, attain self-sufficiency for themselves and their families and achieve a better standard of living.

2400 Hilldale Springs Dr.
Muskogee , OK 74403





Neighborhood Housing Services Of Oklahoma City


For low to moderate income families, this program assists with loans for home purchase, home repair loans, down payment and closing cost loans, home buyer education classes and financial counseling.

1320 Classen Drive, Ste. 200
Oklahoma City , OK 73103



Neighborhood Housing Services of Tulsa

Housing programs, including first-time homebuyer assistance with closing and down payment costs, homebuyer education, and income and other eligibility criteria apply for some programs.

1436 N. Cheyenne Ave.
Tulsa , OK 74106



Northeast Oklahoma Community Action Agency


This agency serves Delaware County and Ottawa County. Programs include:

  • Asset Development - Tax Return Preparation Assistance, Budget Counseling/Financial Management;
  • Early Childhood - Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Prescription Assistance, Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance;
  • Housing - Downpayment/Closing Cost Assistance, Rehabilitation, Rental Units, Single Family Construction, Weatherizing; and
  • Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program.

856 E. Melton Dr., Ste. C, P.O. Box 603
Jay , OK 74346





OG&E Weatherization Program for Seniors

OG&E has announced a Free Home Weatherization Program for Seniors (65 and older) earning less than $35,000 annually (see Qualifications below). Some typical improvements include the following:

  • Insulation; attic, floor, and wall
  • Window Sealing
  • Weather-stripping
  • Maintenance of HVAC
  • Hot water tank check-up
  • Thermostat settings
  • Lighting efficiency
  • Sealing the exterior siding

To find out about participating, contact OG&E Customer Service at 272-9741 (metro Oklahoma City area customers) or 1-800-272-9741 (all others).

Qualifying household income:

  • $35,000 or below,
  • Age 65 and older
  • OG+E customer,
  • Own the home being weatherized Resided in the home for a minimum of one year Home built prior to 2000 (no mobile homes).


405-272-9741 OKC

Toll Free: 

800-272-9741 Statewide

Oklahoma Association of Community Action Agencies (OACAA)


OACAA provides its 18 Community Action Agency members and others with poverty-related information, education and technical assistance. The Association conducts public awareness programs on poverty and efforts of Community Action Agencies to assist economically disadvantaged persons.

Programs vary among community action agencies, but many offer these services:

  • Home buyer assistance,
  • Home repair and weatherizing,
  • Home buyer education,
  • Housing for people with disabilities,
  • Employment and training programs,
  • Small business development services,
  • Transportation,
  • Early and Periodic Screening,
  • Diagnosis and Treatment (Medicaid-funded health screening and treatment for children),
  • Nutrition and congregate meal programs for the elderly,
  • Homeless services,
  • Emergency assistance, food, clothing,
  • Car seat loan and distribution,
  • Disaster relief (FEMA),
  • Income tax assistance,
  • Credit counseling,
  • Literacy programs,
  • GED classes,
  • Head Start programs,
  • Parent education,
  • Community development
  • Community based services for individuals with disabilities, and
  • Information and advocacy.

Request a map and chart of services offered by each community action agency from OACAA.

605 Centennial Blvd
Edmond , OK 73013





Oklahoma Department of Human Services - Aging Services Division

Services and resources aimed at supporting independence and protecting quality of life for older Oklahomans.

  • Adult Protective Services (APS) - Information about the program that investigates reports of abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable adults, including older persons and persons with developmental disabilities.
  • Adult Day Services - Program helps participants stay in the community, allowing families and other caregivers to continue caring for an impaired member at home.
  • ADvantage Waiver - Provides Medicaid services to help frail elders and adults who have physical disabilities stay at home instead of going to a nursing home.
  • Aging Services Division Programs and Services - Learn about the programs and services managed by this OKDHS division, download key forms or documents, view policy or find available publications.
  • Area Agencies on Aging - Get information about services such as congregate and home delivered meals, health promotion, nutrition or in-home assistance for Oklahomans age 60 and older.
  • Food Stamps - Also known as the "nutrition safety net of the nation," these benefits help raise nutritional levels of low-income households.
  • Legal Assistance - Get legal referrals and information about assistance for elder rights, end-of-life issues and grandparents raising grandchildren legal rights.
  • Long-Term Care Ombudsman - Serves residents in Oklahoma's long-term care facilities, including nursing homes, assisted living centers and similar adult care homes.
  • Pharmacy Connection Council - Information about how you can get better access to purchase medically necessary prescription drugs.
  • Oklahoma Senior Corps Program - Learn how you can volunteer to make a difference in the community, provide assistance to children with special needs, provide comfort and in-home assistance with daily living tasks to frail, homebound elderly persons.
Sequoyah Memorial Office Building
2400 N. Lincoln Blvd., P.O. Box 25352
Oklahoma City , OK 73105





Oklahoma Department of Human Services - Developmental Disabilities Services

This division provides services to persons ages 3 and older who have a primary diagnosis of developmental disabilities (mental retardation, an IQ of 70 or below). Persons served may also have other developmental or physical disabilities in addition to developmental disabilities.

Community Waiver includes a comprehensive array of services including residential, employment and habilitation services and supports. The Community Waiver provides services appropriate to the individual's needs. To apply call the area in which you live:

  • Area I - 800-522-1064 - is Oklahoma City to include areas north of Interstate 40 and west of Interstate 35, with offices in Enid, Okla., and Oklahoma City.
  • Area II - 800-522-1075 - is the Tulsa Area to include areas to the north of Interstate 40 and east of Interstate 35, with an office in Tulsa, Okla.
  • Area III - 800-522-1086 - is Pauls Valley to include areas to the south of Interstate 40, with an office in Pauls Valley, Okla.

In-Home Supports Waivers (IHSW) allow individuals and families to select services necessary for each individual to remain in his or her own home or family home. Individuals on the IHSW are assigned to OKDHS Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) case managers to assist them in locating, securing, and coordinating needed services.

Eligible children, ages 3 through 17, may receive up to $12,360 of services per year through the IHSW-Children. Eligible adults, 18 years or older, may receive up to $18,540 of services per year through the IHSW-Adult. These waivers are not cash payment programs and all services are provided through agencies contracting with the Oklahoma Health Care Authority.

Guardianship services are available for people receiving waiver services and for people who are residents of the Resource Centers (Northern Oklahoma Resource Center at Enid, the Southern Oklahoma Resource Center at Pauls Valley, or the Robert M. Greer Center). Services include assessment of the need for a guardian, assistance in locating a family member or volunteer to serve as guardian and vouchers for attorney's fees for the establishment of a guardian.

Family Support Assistance payments - This is a cash payment program for families who are caring for children under age 18 at home. In this program, families can receive payments of $250-$400 per month depending on the number of children with disabilities in the home. Families who meet the income eligibility may choose this cash payment in lieu of the Medicaid Home and Community-Based Waiver (HCBW) Services. This program is funded through state dollars.

Group Homes offer living arrangements for 6 to 12 people who share a home and receive up to 24 hours per day of supervision, support, and training in daily living skills. Group Home residents are 18 years of age or older and are provided community living services. Group Homes are single-family homes located in the community close to other services and activities. The home is owned or leased by a private agency. The agency receives reimbursement from OKDHS Developmental Disabilities Services Division (DDSD) for supervising and supporting the residents of the home.

Sequoyah Memorial Office Building
2400 N. Lincoln Blvd., P.O. Box 25352
Oklahoma City , OK 73105





Oklahoma Rural Development

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) administers rural development programs that include housing for individuals and families, help for entities trying to develop housing, and activities to develop rural communities, infrastructures and businesses.

Direct Loan Program (Section 502): Home loans with low interest rates. Most Section 502 loans are made to families with incomes below 80 percent of the median income level in the communities in which they live. These direct loans are made for home purchase or construction.

Loan Guarantee Program (Section 502): Under this program, the Rural Housing Service (RHS) guarantees loans made by private sector lenders. This means that should an individual borrower default on a loan, RHS will pay the private financier for the loan. Under the terms of this program, a family may borrow up to 100 percent of the appraised value of a home, thus eliminating the need for a down payment.

Mutual Self-Help Housing Program: The Self-Help Housing Program makes homes affordable by enabling future homeowners to work on homes themselves. Qualified applicants must complete 65 percent of the work to build their own home. This reduces the cost of the home. Program enrollees also usually obtain loans through the Direct Loan Program. The Self-Help Program also provides grants to nonprofit groups and local governments which then supervise groups of 5 to 12 enrollees in the Self-Help Program. Members of each group help work on each others homes, moving in only when all homes are completed.

Home Repair Loan and Grant Program (Section 504): This program offers low interest loans and grants to very low income individuals and families who own homes in need of repair or accessibility modifications. Homeowners age 62 and over are eligible for home improvement grants. Other low income families and individuals receive loans at a one percent interest rate, with the option to pay a loan out over a 20-year period. Under this program, loans up to $20,000 and grants of up to $7,500 are available. Grant/loan combinations are possible if a person can repay part of the repair cost.

Multi-Family Housing Rental Assistance Program (Section 521): Provides finance options to developers of low-income community housing in rural areas. Residents of these housing developments can apply for rental assistance to lower their rent to no more than 30 percent of their income.

100 USDA, Ste. 108
Stillwater , OK 74074







Opportunities, Inc.

Opportunities, Inc. seeks to remove obstacles and solve problems which inhibit the ability of low income families to attain self-sufficiency. Utilizing funds, from the Community Service Block Grant (CSBG), Opportunities, Inc. is able to provide a range of services and activities to impact upon the problems of poverty.

This agency serves Alfalfa County, Beaver County, Blaine County, Cimarron County, Custer County, Dewey County, Ellis County, Harper County, Kingfisher County, Major County, Texas County, Woods County and Woodward County. Programs and services include:

  • Asset Development - Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
  • Developmental Disabilities - Residential Services;
  • Early Childhood - Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Clothing, Food, Prescription Assistance, Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Temporary Housing, Utility Payment Assistance;
  • Employment - Job Training Funding;
  • Housing - Single-Family Construction, Rentals, Weatherizing;
  • Nutrition - Child & Adult Care Food Program, Congregate Meal Sites, Meals Delivery to Residences;
  • Senior Citizens - RSVP;
  • Substance Abuse - Outpatient Counseling, Residential Treatment; and
  • Other - Turning Point Initiative.
117 W. Russworm, P.O. Box 569
Watonga , OK 73772





Southwest Oklahoma Community Action Group


This group serves Greer County, Harmon County and Jackson County. Programs include:

  • Asset Development - Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
  • Developmental Disabilities - Pre-employment Skills;
  • Early Childhood - Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Food, Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance, Fans/Blankets;
  • Housing - Single-family Construction, Multifamily Construction, Homebuyer Education Classes, Rehabilitation, Rental Units, Weatherizing;
  • Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program, Congregate Meal Sites, Meals Delivered to Residences, Counseling/Training;
  • Senior Citizens - RSVP;
  • Substance Abuse - Jackson County Tobacco Control Program;
  • Transit - Public, SoonerRide;
  • Youth - Communities of Promise; and
  • Other Programs - Communities of Excellence/Tobacco Control, Adult Day Care, RX for Oklahoma.
900 S. Carver Rd., P.O. Drawer 1088
Altus , OK 73521





The City of Oklahoma City


Low interest loans for home repair and rehabilitation. For limited income homeowners in targeted areas of the City.

Neighborhood Services Department Housing Programs Division
420 W. Main, Ste. 1040
Oklahoma City , OK 73102



United Community Action Program

Provides emergency services such as assistance with pharmacy payments, rental/mortgage payments, utility, food, clothing and more.

This program serves Creek County, Kay County, Noble County, Osage County and Pawnee County. Programs include:

  • Early Childhood - Child Care, Early Head Start, Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Prescription Assistance, Clothing, Pantry, Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Temporary Shelter, Utility Payment Assistance;
  • Housing - Multifamily Development, Rehabilitation, Emergency Home Repairs, Weatherizing;
  • Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program, Meals Delivered to Residences;
  • Substance Abuse - Outpatient Counseling;
  • Transit - On Demand, Road to Work Routes, SoonerRide;
  • Youth - Provide School Supplies, Tutoring, Summer Programs; and
  • Other - RxAssist for Oklahoma.
501 6th Street
Pawnee , OK 74058





Washita Valley Community Action Council

This council serves Caddo County and Grady County. Programs include:

  • Asset Development - Tax Return Preparation Assistance;
  • Early Childhood - Head Start;
  • Emergency Services - Rent/Mortgage Payment Assistance, Utility Payment Assistance;
  • Housing - Downpayment/Closing Cost Assistance, Homebuyer Education Classes, Weatherizing;
  • Nutrition - Child and Adult Care Food Program; and
  • Transit - Road to Work Routes, SoonerRide.
205 W. Chickasha Ave, P.O. Box 747
Chickasha , OK 73023